A Dream Report: The night of February 2/3, 2015

Significantly, I had just slept in my yurt for the first time in a long time. As I sat there in my simple bed I could see, feel and hear the great outdoors through the canvas walls.  I could hear the wind and the beating of the rain on the roof above my head.  I could hear the crackle of the fire in the wood stove and feel its radiant heat. I had turned off the electricity in the yurt and there were no lights, refridgerators, water heaters, handheld telephone station emitters, computer modems or modern heating systems going. It was so peaceful! I felt like a Mongolian nomad coming back to their yurt in the wilds after being boxed up in houses for a long period of time. I gave a big sigh of relief and wished that this was available to everyone who wished it or needed it from time to time. 
Here is a quote by one of the nature spirits in Verena Stael von Holstein’s books of fairy communications, set in Germany.   
“Next door we have the marsh. The “One from the Marsh” rules there. Nature-beings from Hamburg, such as tree beings, come to him. They come here as sick, tired, exhausted and despairing elemental beings. And that’s because humans don’t notice them and humans don’t cultivate any contact with them. “ Life is hard for tree beings and nature spirits in today’s cities.
Humans need these kinds of retreat places in nature just as these trees do.  People need to leave the crowded, stressful cities to go to the woods/natural surroundings at times to recuperate and recharge so they can go back to their city duties. People especially need this who serve in hospitals, nursing homes, caregiving, social work, with mentally ill, physically disabled, etc. 
At any rate I was happy to be in my yurt as I went to sleep. One of the blankets covering me was an old, handmade camel-hair blanket. I don’t know if that blanket had something to do with the dream. 
In the dream I was the head auctioneer for an auction of hand-made crafts. It wasn’t set in a square box building. It was set in something like an Indian longhouse made of wood. It had a big area for the guests who were mainly sitting cross-legged on the floor/ground. It looked like mostly men, a lot of whom looked like they would be comfortable at a mountain-man rendezvous or primitive skills gathering. The auction items were many and varied. Tanned skins were prominent, as were fiber goods, hanks of cordage, baskets (some of the shellacked red), bone buttons, woodwork, shellwork, etc. The items had practical uses but they were all beautiful works of art suitable for museum pieces or art galleries. Most items were worth hundreds of dollars each and some even thousands of dollars.  A lot of money was going to change hands tonight. I was watching one vendor lay out a large spread of animal skins and another vendor who had just finished his layout came to me and said “I’ll be back for the start of the auction at 9:00 pm”. The auction was scheduled to start at 8:00 pm.  I looked up at the clock and it was 8:15 pm. Sizing up the situation I realized he was right and we wouldn’t get started till 9:00 pm.  The auction was going to go well into the night.
…at this point I awoke. I got up and made notes before going back to sleep and other dreams.

MICHAEL “SKEETER” PILARSKI is a life-long student of plants and earth repair. His farming career started in 2nd grade and his organic farming career began in 1972 at age 25. Michael founded Friends of the Trees Society in 1978 and took his first permaculture design course in 1982. Since 1988 he has taught 36 permaculture design courses in the US and abroad. His specialties include earth repair, agriculture, seed collecting, nursery sales, tree planting, fruit picking, permaculture, agroforestry, forestry, ethnobotany, medicinal herb growing, hoeing and wildcrafting. He has hands-on experience with over 1000 species of plants. He is a prolific gathering organizer and likes group singing.